Pilates and Gyrotonic
At the Center for Physical Health, we utilize 2 approaches that build flexibility, strength, endurance, and coordination in the legs, abdominals, arms and back – the Pilates Method and Gyrotonic Expansion System (GXS). Pilates and GXS are more than just exercise programs and equipment – they are designed to improve the way your body looks, feels and functions. Both draw from challenge and beauty of yoga, ballet, gymnastics, and swimming to open your movement ability and help you feel balanced, alert and focused.
Pilates and GXS can be adapted for any level of fitness, providing a gentle stretching and strengthening for someone recovering from illness or injury, or challenging a skilled athlete with a vigorous workout. After all, Pilates exercise was originally designed to rehabilitate injured, bedridden soldiers. Today, athletes and dancers love it, as do seniors, women rebounding from pregnancy, and people at various stages of physical rehabilitation.
One of the keys for you in any exercise is closely supervised, expert instruction. At the Center for Physical Health, our certified instructors are trained in fitness AND health/rehabilitation. They work with you to overcome the challenges of illness, injury or any physical limitation you might have.
The Center offers one-on-one therapeutic fitness instruction. Class Schedule.
Please also ask us about purchasing a series of private lessons classes at a discount.
WHAT IN THE WORLD IS THAT EQUIPMENT?
Springs, straps, cables and strange devices – Pilates and GXS are different from weight machines in every way. The fluid, spiral/circular movements of Pilates and GXS simultaneously stretch and strengthen the body while simultaneously supporting it, increasing range of motion and developing coordination, strength and control.
With Pilates and GXS you to work many different parts of the body at once. The focus is on smooth, controlled movements, proper form and deep, healthy breathing instead of repetition. This builds lithe, toned bodies, making it a fitness workout that is as refreshing as it is challenging.
A REMARKABLE TOOL FOR REHABILITATION – WHO CAN BENEFIT?
The flexible design of Pilates and GXS allows it to meet your needs regardless of body type and level of strength. It’s safe enough for pregnant women and can even be used while in a wheelchair. You can benefit if you are challenged by:
- Arthritis – Pilates and GXS stimulate healthy tissue recovery and can increase range of motion without stressing joints.
- Post-operative rehabilitation – Smooth, gliding motions build functional strength while eliminating the jarring starts and stops of many other exercise options that can damage muscles and joints.
- Back and neck pain – You can build core strength and increase flexibility as well as confidence in your ability to move without pain.
- Osteoporosis – you have the opportunity to exercise lying down with many of the advantages of weight-bearing exercise.
- Fibromyalgia – you can exercise without causing fatigue and post-exercise soreness.